Monday, August 4, 2008

Well, I guess it's time for pull-ups

Kevin has started casually potty training. I say "casually" because, I don't know if you remember a while back when he peed on the potty quite accidentally, or not, but I've been putting him on the potty in a totally non-pressured kind of way for awhile now. At first he cried because he was afraid he'd fall in. Then he got used to sitting there, but didn't know why he was there so he'd just kinda hang out (no pun intended). Then he got into this phase where, God forbid, I'd go in the BR myself so I'd say, "Mommy has to go potty" and he'd go in with me. At that point I'd ask him if he had to go potty and put him on it. Last week I asked him if he had to go potty and he smiled so big and ran into the bathroom, grabbed his potty seat and tried to put it on the commode himself. It was so cute to watch the light bulb go on. I put him on and he peed right away. Of course, I made a big scene of praise for him, although I didn't expect too much after that, but he did that 3 more times that day! He's just 18 months so I don't know if this will stick, so I'm taking a very casual approach, but I think I'm going to buy him pull-ups tomorrow for during the day and see what happens...

4 comments:

Terry said...

WOW!! Would you mind coming down to Baton Rouge to help me get this potty training thing started? At this rate, I think I'll be buying diapers until he's 10 (but that's probably because I haven't even attempted potty training yet).

Way to go Kevin (and mom)!

Terry

Laurie said...

That's awesome!!! Another mom here who hasn't even started yet, but I am slowly starting to think about it. Theo always comes into the BR with me as I'm afraid he'll clock his sister if I leave him out in the living room. haha. But anyway, kudos to Kevin!

Twiddles said...

Ooooh, that's fantastic! And so adorable. Glad that he wants to do it on his own and didn't need a push from you. He's smart, I tell ya :)

Baby John's Crib said...

Yeah, another mom who thinks you're awesome! I'm going to start some sort of casual introduction in two weeks once I get done with a class. I kinda wish I would have done it much sooner.

John took a bath last week, stood up in the middle of it, peed, stopped mid- stream, got a strange look on his face, and said "I pee-peed". I think we're long overdue.

Good for you, girlfriend, good for you!