Tuesday, February 10, 2009

What I told my boss and what I didn't

I informed my boss last week that, within the year, I need to get off the weekend program and onto 7-3 shift or get gone. She actually seemed happy that I wanted to come 7-3. Hmmm. Of course we all know that, at the rate my facility trades out DONs, she may not even be there by then.

What I didn't tell her, yet, is that I'm going to need to take a leave of absence for 3, or 4, weeks starting at the end of June or early July. The reason being is that Roni is going to have a Gastric Bypass surgery and the estimated time frame is around that time. She certainly will not be able to care for Kevin during her recovery. Since Roni has Fibromyalgia, history has shown that, when she has surgery, her recovery is much worse than other people's. In the past it has sent her into a "flare" and the pain is intense.

I'm not sure how to phrase this upcoming event to my boss. I don't think that they are legally required to allow me off for a leave, but I hope they will not be difficult.

The whole thing is making me a nervous wreck.

9 comments:

Vanessa said...

Praying the surgery goes well and your boss is understanding!!

Anonymous said...

They are legally required to give you leave under FMLA. You won't get paid, but you can't lose your job (as long as you follow the FMLA rules).

Tam said...

That would be great, but could you tell me what the legal requirement is that they have to allow it? I thought it had to be a spouse having surgery....(hoping you read this response).

Kylie's Mommy said...

I agree. FMLA.
Roni is your family so you should be covered. At least in a perfect world.
I can look it up at work tomorrow if you want.
Dottie

Tam said...

Yeah, but she is not legally recognized as such...

Anonymous said...

Tam-

I can look it up in more detail- but I'm almost certain ss partners are recognized in the FMLA law. You are in PA right?

Krista

Tam said...

Yes, I'm in PA.

Mama Bear said...

I am sure it is nerve wracking enough to worry with surgery but even sorrier to hear that you have to worry with boss. I can so relate to the changes in bosses! My hubby at Cap One has had 4 in the past 2 years alone, one of the reasons he has been hesitant to accept some of the promotions!

Keeping fingers crossed that everything will go well. When is surgery? email me with more specifics to surgery. Though I can't help with info on fibromyalgia, I can answer more specific questions regarding surgery. Sister had it done 8/2005

Happy Valentine's Day :-)

Lisa said...

I hope the surgery goes well for her, and that you can get a leave arranged without any hassles or problems. You should move here to Cols, you'd be protected under the city's laws against discrimination *and* we could get our boys together. :-D We even have a hockey team! Okay, not a good one....but we have one! LOL