Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Just for sh*ts and giggles

I'm looking into the future and know that I will need to get off the weekend program within the next year, or two. I know it sounds far away, but, as fast as time is flying by these days, I'm getting antsy about it. The way things are at work lately, I can't expect that I'll be able to switch shifts and remain there.

So....I decided to apply for a State job (preferably a State Inspector for nursing homes) and get on the waiting list. I didn't really know what to expect, but figured it couldn't hurt. I am an idiot and forgot to fill out the supplemental application that goes with the regular application, which would have raised my score higher. Nonetheless, there was only one score higher than mine in the County in which I reside and 2 higher than me in the next County over. Not too bad considering I, figuratively, did it with a handicap. If I wasn't an idiot, maybe I'd have made the top of the list. I guess an idiot doesn't deserve to be there, so it's justified. I can only wait now for some jobs to open up and try to dazzle them in an interview if I'm contacted. I cannot retake the test for 6 months, so I'm stuck for now.

I'm curious to see what happens with my career...The thought of leaving my place of employment after 13 years is sad, but exciting at the same time.

6 comments:

Twiddles said...

Wow, scary! But great! I'm sure you'll dazzle them plenty. And if the job lets you spend more time with Kevin, that's fantastic. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

Terry said...

I'm so proud of you! :) Congratulations on having such a high score, even without whatever the name of that thing was you were supposed to fill out.. How cool would it be for you not to have to work weekends? Hoping something opens up for you soon!

Mama Bear said...

It is scary but some times it's that little "push" we need. After doing clinic management for the same clinic for 14 years, I left. NEVER did I think I would do that but long story short, best thing I ever did! Saved my sanity!!! LOL Congrats though on having a high score. That's awesome. Maybe they'll notice you just forgot the suppplemental sheet???
Hope it works out for you.

Arena Mom said...

Hello! I just found you blog and had to comment! Our kids are just 2 days apart in age! Our dd is a 1/26 baby and came home 3/08. Nice to meet you!

Laurie said...

Congrats on the high score! Hope you get a better job soon that you enjoy and don't have to work lots of hours.

Baby John's Crib said...

I hope you get the nursing home gig. Talk about a place that truly needs it - kick some ass if you get that job!