Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A rough week

Roni had her Gastric Bypass surgery on the 12th. Because of her Fibromyalgia, the post-op days were horribly painful for her. It was exactly what I feared. I knew from past surgeries how bad it could be, but I had a small ray of hope that this hospital would be different since it was a large hospital, out of the area, and is actually a teaching hospital. I had hoped they would be more progressive, understand Fibro, and be up on the research which is published that shows why Fibro patients suffer from post surgery pain that is out of the ordinary, how to avoid it, and act accordingly.

I was sorely disappointed.

Roni's sister, bless her heart, came to be with Roni during the surgery and her stay in the hospital since I couldn't be there because we thought Kevin would be terrified to be left with anyone overnight.

After all these years, I'm convinced that very few medical professionals understand Fibro. Some don't even believe in it. Hospital personnel certainly don't get it. They make comments like, "You just had surgery, you have to expect some pain." What they don't get is that it isn't the surgery pain that has her writhing in pain and screaming out like nothing you've seen before with the same surgery performed. It is the Fibro pain. They refuse to listen, think you are exaggerating, being a baby, etc. It is beyond frustrating. It is heart wrenching to watch. It is why I never jump to any conclusions about a patient complaining of pain. Unfortunately, many of my fellow nurses, and even doctors, do just that. I try to teach. I become the patient's advocate. I hope there is a special place in Hell for medical personnel who allow a patient to suffer needlessly.

I'll get off my soapbox.


She came home on the 15th. Things are progressing slowly. Her PO intake is not what it should be, so I worry about dehydration. Her protein intake is not even close to being enough. She does get up and move around, for short periods, a couple times a day.

While she was at the hospital, Kevin became depressed and it was so sad to watch. I videotaped him on the 3rd morning he awoke and she wasn't there. The video is dark because it was a gloomy day and his bedroom light wasn't on, but this is what I walked in to that morning...If you turn your volume way up, you can here him ask for her "Noni"....about broke my heart.


Eva said...

OMG! that video is one of the saddest things ever! Poor Keving, I'm glad his "Noni" is back home and I hope she starts feeling better as soon as possible!

Rhonda said...

Oh my GOD Tam, I am soooo sorry for Roni. I can only imagine how you must have felt seeing her in so much pain and not being able to help more. I kept thinking every time my son with special needs had another surgery (had 33 in total so far in short 24 years) that I work in the medical field, why can't I make it better and even more so when I butt heads with the medical personnel. Here's to hoping there is that special pergatory for those that let others be in pain. I still wish I could roll in a ball so many days especially when the surgeon thinks everything is fine and dandy and why in the hell do I need pain pills, sigh....... That video was truly gut wrenching, poor munchkin. Tell Roni, we are rooting for her and sending her many hugs. I still remember the first six weeks of being pure HELL. HUGS to all of you. Please know you can reach me anytime if there's anything I can do to help in any way.......Rhonda

Baby John's Crib said...

Aww, poor little guy. I'm glad Roni is home, and I hope she is feeling better and pain-free soon.