Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Soooo...

'Sup? How y'all doin? Apparently my life has become incomparably non-eventful as evidenced by my lack of blogging.

Let's see....hmm...well, there was the time...uh, no. Nothing.

Ummm...Kevin seems to be actually growing before my very eyes. Suddenly, almost all his clothes are too short for him. His head is just about skimming the bottom of the kitchen table. How can that be?!

His attachment seems to be going very well. The SW was impressed, but WTF is with his crappy sleeping habits? He was improving and waking up less, but in the last few days he's backslid. He had constipation issues over the weekend. Could that have been the problem? I believe that problem is resolved, but we'll see how he does tonight. When I got home from work Sunday night (exhausted, I might add) and he woke up around 2AM and would not go back to sleep unless he was being held, I caved and brought him into my bed. He wasn't content to sleep beside me. Nooooo. He had to sleep laying on my chest. Very sweet and bonding and all, but my night of restorative sleep was in the toilet. I was simply exhausted Monday and was eternally grateful that he took an almost 3 hour nap Monday morning 'cause I napped right along with him. Last night he woke up throwing a fit multiple times. He would not go back to sleep easily and he was angry. I truly believe he wanted to come into my bed again. I thought about it and decided against it and he made me pay. Oh, yes ma'am, he did. This boy has a temper. A fiery, nasty temper sometimes. You may disagree, but I truly believe that I need to nip that shit in the bud early. I picture him getting older and being "that kid" that is a holy brat and, being there are no males in this household, he needs to learn that acting the fool is not the way to go to get your way. 'Cause if he thinks it is? And he gets older? And into the teen years? WTF will I do? On the whole? He's a happy boy that smiles easily. He's affectionate and smiles and laughs most of the day. Bedtime is the biggest issue. My instinct says to let him cry it out once his needs have been attended to, but I've been made to feel that that is wrong and I'm being a bad mommy to do that. I don't want to do the wrong thing here. I wish I knew what the right thing is. There's a couple of bloggers that I read that have teen sons and the relationship that they have with them is the kind that I dream of. I'm sure they're not perfect, but the relationship between mom and son seems so strong. I want that. Everything I do between now and then will help define what happens later. It's such an awesome responsibility. I don't want to screw it up.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Tam, I so feel you. I worry about the same things with Drew. He is overall a very sweet boy, but I'm terrified that we'll do the wrong things and he'll turn into a holy terror. We're trying so hard to not give in to his tantrums for fear that any slip up will turn him into THAT KID. It's tough and, yes, an awesome responsibility.

Baby John's Crib said...

You said it so well!

We've really struggled with nighttime waking. When John's not teething, since he'd been home for a while, we resorted to the cry it out method, and it worked like a charm, one bad night, one occasional whimper night, and then sleep - until molars happened. Now we're back to square one with a kid that gets up every night and won't go back to sleep without a bottle. Once we're on vacation at Christmas, and I'm sure his teething is pretty much over, we're going back to crying. I'll also be reading every parenting book I can find to figure out if I've scarred him for life, and if so, how to fix it. I don't know what else to do - being an incoherent from lack of sleep parent isn't winning me any mommy of the year points. It really seems like a 6 of one, half-dozen of the other situation.

I wish you better luck than I am having!

Laurie said...

We are also dealing with sleep issues with Theo right now, so you aren't alone. He wants to cuddle and sleep with us - but of course as you said - then we don't sleep as well. 2am is the hour he tends to wake up crying also. Our pedi said sleep issues like this often start around 9 months because they are learning that they are separate from us, and not attached to us. Well, something like that....who knows.