Wednesday, August 15, 2007

It's tough being short...

I stand all of 5'1". This presents problems at times for which I need to be creative. In the store, if an item is too high on a shelf, I will step on the bottom shelf to get it. At times, if even that won't work because I guess everyone must be at least 5'6", Roni's cane has come in quite handy. I hold it by the bottom and hook an item with the rubber handle. Hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Well, today I bought a new baby carrier. It's a side carrier that I thought would be nice so my hip could hold some of Kevin's weight and not have him dangling just under my chin and killing my back like the other one I have. Except. It didn't have a disclaimer saying that you really need to be taller to use it. I threw the strap over my shoulder and buckled the lumbar support strap around my waist. Uh-huh. The strap that goes over the shoulder is supposed to cross over your back and under your opposite arm so the carrier sits at your hip. Uh-huh. I should have taken a picture. The strap that goes under a normal average size woman's arm was up in my armpit making my arm stick out from my side. The supposed lumbar support? Yeah. Well. That landed about mid-thigh on me. Roni suggested putting on my hip instead of, you know, my lumbar area, so I tried that. Sigh. If there was an actual baby in it, he'd be taller than I. I kid. But not by much. There I was with my right arm sticking straight out and the carrier itself blocking my face. Not going to work. Nope. I hope he likes the stroller...

4 comments:

Kylie's Mommy said...

oh how I wish there were pictures..

dottie
www.journeytng.blogspot.com

MaryJo said...

I second that - we need pictures.

Melissa said...

Yes, pictures would have been good. I'm 5'2", so I can relate!

Anonymous said...

Those comments are just cruel and wrong ladies!
Just came across your blog and wanted to offer words of support from another petite mama...I can totally relate - I had to give up my front carrier when my 8 month old baby's feet started hitting my knees as I walked! Took another 3 mos to find a light weight stroller with an adjustable handle bar that I can lower to below chest level!! Whoever said petite is cute must've been over 5'4!!