I thought about not posting this because I know some people may judge me poorly for the decision I felt I had to make. As a matter of fact, I read someone's blog last night, of all nights, that addresses this same issue and it had me in tears.
I was fearing for Kevin's safety and made one of the toughest, heartbreaking choices I've ever had to make. Up until yesterday, I had 3 dogs. A Rottie, a Border Collie and a Pug. I've written about them before and I spoke of the fear I had about the Rottie and her reaction to Kevin. I got the Rottie from the SPCA a little over 5 years ago. That fact is important because, if you get a dog from the SPCA, you must sign a contract spelling out what you can and cannot do with the dog. If you are to ever give it up, you MUST return it to them and only them. Carly's reaction to Kevin is what I feared it would be. She's a 100lb dog that was busting down the baby gates to try to get to him. She didn't appear to be aggressive, but she's so big that I feared for Kevin. Before we went on the p/u trip she was showing some personality changes where she'd be aggressive towards the Pug. We took her to the vet who tried her on some medication, but it made no difference. Yesterday, I returned her to the SPCA. My hope is that she believes she's being kenneled as she's been many times before. I sit here with tears streaming down my face, but I believe that I had to do it. For Kevin. I couldn't wait to see if she would harm him. It would be too late at that point and I wouldn't be able to live with myself. I'm having a hard enough time right now.
I'm so sorry, Carly.