Friday, September 12, 2008

Yikes!

Let me tell you something...Last night was something else altogether with Kevin. I've never seen such a display from the boy. We actually were discussing taking him to the ER due to his inconsolable crying/screaming. It was so bad that I didn't even bring out the video recorder...

First off, he refused to nap yesterday and was way over tired. On top of that, he didn't eat much all day (probably because he was over tired). The combination of these two things caused a meltdown of epic porportions. At the time that it was happening, we weren't sure if that was the issue or if he was having severe belly pain because he kept pulling his legs up while screaming and screaming and screaming. We're both nurses and were starting to wonder if he had an impaction, or something. I'm telling you that it was nonstop for about an hour and we were getting really worried...especially when even the Wiggles didn't help!

Roni finally said that maybe he was mistaking hunger for pain and needed to eat. That was a good thought, but how was I going to get food in him while he was like this? He wouldn't eat. I finally decided that I would take him upstairs, away from the stimulation, with a bottle. I was praying this would work because, if it didn't, we'd be headed to the hospital. When we got upstairs, he continued his crying/screaming for about five minutes while I held him. Then he picked up his bottle and handed it to me. I held him and fed it to him. I have never seen him take a bottle so fast. As soon as he was done, he sat up and said, " What's that?" while looking out the window. He was a completely different kid and I was extremely relieved. I knew then that he was OK. Now that he was energized, he didn't want to go to bed so I took him back downstairs to play or awhile. After another half hour, or so, he took his bath and went to bed with no problem.

Today he woke up on a fabulous mood. I will never allow that combination of events to happen again. Believe it.

1 comment:

Barb said...

OHhhhhh...that is the worst. I'm glad you were able to finally get him calmed down and he's better today.

We actually did take Carlton to the ER for a similar episode. We had no idea what was going on with him. Of course it turned out to be nothing...but at least then we knew.

Crazy kids. :)